Today I am pleased to announce details concerning a writing contest that will be running in conjunction with the upcoming release of my first adventure gamebook, "Invitation to a Feast". Contestants will be required to write their own short story version of an adventure gamebook. For those of you who are not particularly familiar with the genre, the most basic version of an adventure gamebook is the Choose Your Own Adventure series.
The rules of this contest are as follows:
1) No more than 10 individual pages (or sections)
2) No more than 1,500 words in total (Average 150 words per page)
3) The content must suitable for young children (i.e. be age appropriate to the 8-12 y.o. group)
4) There are no restrictions, per se, concerning genre but be aware of point 3).
5) The story must have at least one successful ending (you can have multiple good and bad endings if you wish).
6) If you wish to write a more advanced gamebook (e.g. One that uses dice) and, therefore, need to include a set of gamebook instructions with your submission you can do so. (I will not include the instructions as part of the word count).
7) Submissions are accepted by EMAIL ONLY to email@example.com
8) There will be one winner, who will be notified by email. The short story that is chosen as the winner will be placed on www.jumpsterhopper.blogspot.com in full (probably in stages). If the winner so desires, a link(s) can be placed to the author's website/blogsite as well.
9) The prize for the winner is the first signed copy of my debut book "Invitation to a Feast" that will be shipped out via mail once the book is released (and I have the copy to send across). (To the winner, I will eventually require postal details from you so I can ship the book to you).
10) At this stage, the contest will run until the end of June 30 (midnight) - Australian Eastern Standard Time (i.e. I must receive your submission by this date/time) but I may extend it further depending on how things go. The winner will be announced within three weeks after the contest closes.
If anybody has any further questions concerning the contest, feel free to email me or leave a comment on the blogsite.
Thanks and happy writing!